Monday, August 13, 2007
Review: Water for Elephants
Sara Gruen's novel Water for Elephants is about romance, and the circus, though not necessarily about the romance of the circus. I thought it was a nice, quick Summer read. Fair warning: don't read this book if you dislike happy endings.
Here are some semi-random circus & carnival links:
1. Ringling, Montana (near Bozeman) was named after one of the famous Ringling Brothers.
2. Memoirs of a Sword Swallower is my favorite book about life in a carnival sideshow.
3. The Ringling Museum is worth a visit if you're ever near Sarasota FL. (I visited the museum during Spring Break many years ago.)
4. Circus Peanuts - a classic from The Straight Dope. (Bonus: kraut juice.)
5. The movie Freaks has a pretty scary ending (I have the DVD).